Πέμπτη 24 Μαρτίου 2011

Maid of Athens, ere we part

Maid of Athens, ere we part,
Give, oh, give back my heart!
Or, since that has left my breast,
Keep it now, and take the rest!
Hear my vow before I go,
Ζωή μου, σας ἀγαπῶ.*

By those tresses unconfined,
Wooed by each Aegean wind;
By those lids whose jetty fringe
Kiss thy soft cheeks' blooming tinge;
By those wild eyes like the roe,
Ζωή μου, σας ἀγαπῶ.


By that lip I long to taste;
By that zone-encircled waist;
By all the token-flowers that tell
What words can never speak so well;
By love's alternate joy and woe,
Ζωή μου, σας ἀγαπῶ.

Maid of Athens! I am gone:
Think of me, sweet! when alone.
Though I fly to Istambol,
Athens holds my heart and soul:
Can I cease to love thee? No!
Ζωή μου, σας ἀγαπῶ.

Lord Byron. 1810.
dedicated to Teresa Macri.

*My life, I love you

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου